Dear Lakewood United Church of Christ Family and Friends,
Greetings! This is definitely a year to remember! And one of the things we remember and give thanks for in this season is the faithfulness, constancy, and generosity of the Lakewood Church family.
When we left the sanctuary after worship and a congregational conversation about the corona virus on Sunday March 15 we did not know that we would not be returning the next Sunday or the next or the next.
And yet, the ministry of the church has flourished and grown this year:
-The Care Team has expanded to the Care Team Plus and everyone in the church family is included in the ministry of the Care Team.
– There have been special mailings to children and youth for holidays.
– There have been ‘drive bys’ to those homebound, the sick, the dying, children, youth, teachers, and healthcare workers.
– There have been weekly anti-racism demonstrations which have brought us new partners: The Friends Meeting and the Social Justice Committee of Westminster Suncoast.
– There has been the expansion of the music ministry of the church. Music posted by Hilton on a regular basis has helped to soothe
our souls. The church gets more comments on social media about Hilton’s music than anything else. This ministry is reaching well beyond the in-person LUCC family.
– Weekly Corona Sabbath posts have brought spiritual support to many including people beyond the in-person congregation.
– There is a team actively revamping the church library to offer greater enrichment and enjoyment.
– Spiritual Direction is being offered through the church.
– The labyrinth ministry has grown from a seasonal offering to a weekly year round gathering providing spiritual support and insight during these challenging days.
And there are many in the church who work in helping professions, social service, education, healthcare, and chaplaincy. They have seen their job responsibilities mushroom with the increasing need created by the pandemic. The church has endeavored to provide them with spiritual support so that they might minister to the community.
Because of your generosity, the ministry of the church has grown during these covid days. Because of your giving, the ministry of the church has been ‘pressed down and shaken together’ and is ‘running over.’
Please know that Lakewood Church is grateful to you, grateful to be a part of your life, and grateful for your generosity.
YOU make this a Happy Thanksgiving for your LUCC family. Thank you!
Rev. Kim Wells and the Advisors
Patti Cooksey, Jane Diven, Lucille Ruga, Malcolm Wells, and Olivia Gibson