Lakewood United Church of Christ as
A Creation Justice Church
The congregation of LUCC believes that all beings in the Sacred Web of life are ecologically interconnected and interdependent, and that we should care for and live in balance with the rest of Creation. We acknowledge that the abuses of Creation inevitably cause environmental and human exploitation and suffering. We realize that race, class, and global inequality cause some to suffer more than others.
We affirm that Creation Justice is a core commitment of the Christian faith and that our mission is to “work for God’s peace and justice throughout creation” (LUCC Mission Statement). Our goal is not only to cherish creation, the land, and the earth itself, but also to restore living in balance with all of Creation and the Sacred.
To work toward healing and conservation of the environment for a better quality of life for all Creation, with an urgent sense of calling Lakewood United Church of Christ covenants to:
- Communicate through our actions and ministry to all who encounter our congregation that we cherish the restoration and renewal of creation
- Educate ourselves and others on critical issues related to healing and preserving the environment and the impact on all Creation
- Support public policies, regulations, laws, and funding that benefit the environment and protect vulnerable communities
- Participate through advocacy and action in initiatives to address local and global threats to our environment including partnering with environmental justice allies in the wider community
- Reduce climate change by decreasing our use of fossil fuels and lowering our carbon footprint
- Encourage individuals in the congregation and beyond to implement this covenant in their personal lives
We will apply this covenant to all aspects of the life of the church, including the buildings and grounds. We commit to doing an annual review of our progress in fulfilling this covenant.
Therefore Be It Resolved That
Lakewood United Church of Christ declares itself to be a Creation Justice Church and continues to commit to working “for peace and justice throughout creation”.
November 11, 2018